Monday, April 23, 2012

Dean Koontz's "Odd Thomas" Series

Ever since reading Flannery O'Connor's literary work, I realized that of all the novels and series that I have read outside of this class only one novel series has truly used the grotesque in such an effective manner as she. Enter in the Odd Thomas series by Dean Koontz.

Dean Koontz, like many of the main characters that we have read in previous novels, converted to Catholicism as a result of his love for his wife, Gerda, who was Catholic. He became more and more intrigued and inspired by Catholicism and finally converted in college. He has become an icon for mystery and supernatural fiction writing, even making it on to the New York Times bestseller list for hardcover 13 times as number one. Now, as he continues to grow in faith and write more popular novels, one can see his faith permeate through his literary work and create such wonderful stories like "Odd Thomas."

Odd Thomas is quite a peculiar character. He can see ghosts and the supernatural in the world around him, offering an insight into the wicked and evil that is present in the world, while simultaneously accentuating  the beauty and wonder of the world and of many people in it.

First reading the starting novel, aptly named "Odd Thomas," I had a hard time diving into the story as I do when reading the work of other well known others authors like Clive Cussler. However, action suddenly appears (quite unlike the Moviegoer) and the rest of the novel becomes enrapturing and quite thrilling. After taking this English course, the Catholic themes and motifs that are present in this novel and the other novels in the series, become very interesting and easy to spot.

So, try this novel. I had a great time reading it, I really enjoyed thinking about it after, and I think you will too. Caution: If you are like me in how I was when I read this, make sure that you allot the next 6 hours, at least, as free time because I guarantee you will not want to put it down until it is finished.


Dean's Faith:
http://www.ncregister.com/site/article/2013

Dean's accomplishments (to name a few):
http://www.deankoontz.com/about-dean/

1 comment:

  1. Good Post. I read this in high school and enjoyed it. I'll have to go back to it and take a fresh look at it.

    ReplyDelete